Treatment of Aquaphobia

Everything about Phobias can be discussed here

Treatment of Aquaphobia

Postby ankur » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:04 am

Though the severity of reactions varies from case to case, there are a number of treatment options that are available that can cure or ease the symptoms of Aquaphobia. Well-known celebrities including Carmen Electra and Winona Ryder have sought help and overcome their Aquaphobia-Carmen Electra becoming most well known from her work in Baywatch next to the water, and Winona Ryder able to act in an underwater scene in the movie Alien: Resurrection.

While it is possible to take some steps to controlling Aquaphobia at home, it is often helpful to seek professional help. As phobias are not rational fears, it is usually not possible to simply talk yourself out of being afraid. Many sufferers of Aquaphobia are well aware that there is no reason for them to be afraid of bodies of water. The phobia, however, is not as easily talked away. Licensed therapists can help guide their patients through a number of different types of exercises that can help sufferers take control away from their phobia and regain control over their lives.

ankur

Re: Treatment of Aquaphobia

Postby uautkarsh » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:23 am

There may be very little in the way of phobia prevention. What I mean by that is your fears may start as innocent encounters little thought of by you or others. In those down times, dream filled nights and casual observances a mild fear can become something unmanageable on your own.

One of the best ways to overcome your fear of water, swimming and drowning is to have someone you trust work with you on taking small steps toward recovery. They might simply help you endure the task of visiting a beach without going into the water or dangling your legs in a water while sitting on the side of the pool. This individual will not make fun of you and will not rush you, but they will consistently bring you back to a point of focus when you begin to have a sense of panic that threatens to overwhelm you.

This can also be accomplished through paid therapy sessions in more severe cases. Hypnotherapy and behavior therapy can help although for this phobia. Medication is usually not recommended because of the reflexes needed for swimming.

It is believed that with this therapy one of the best treatments may be in finding the original source of the fear and working through what beliefs about that original fear are correct and which ones are false. If the Aquaphobe can rationally understand the irrationality of their fear, and that the fear itself was based on wrong information they can begin to retrain their mind to accept the truth. Once that truth is accepted they can begin acting on the truth in small steps.

The fear of drowning is a relevant fear, but it doesn’t need to be debilitating. You can overcome your fear, and there is no shame in seeking help.
uautkarsh

Postby sweetloveforever » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:00 pm

i think the best way to treat aquaphobia is to have someone you trust helping you out. if i had afraid of water i would appreciate if someone i like, from family or a friend helped me out. if i learned to swim for example i would feel more secure in the water.
sweetloveforever

Postby uautkarshcomment » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:44 am

sweetloveforever wrote:i think the best way to treat aquaphobia is to have someone you trust helping you out. if i had afraid of water i would appreciate if someone i like, from family or a friend helped me out. if i learned to swim for example i would feel more secure in the water.

Trust is really very necessary to get rid of this fear..
uautkarshcomment

Postby sweetloveforever » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:56 pm

uautkarshcomment if you ask someone you know well to teach you how to swim you will feel secure. water is just scary if you swim till you cant touch the sand.
sweetloveforever

Return to Phobias